Tuesday 23 September 2008

Ron and Tracy Angus Bill Ward

I have just receive an email from Ron and Tracy Angus who are Canadians. As you can see by the attached letter, another player that has fond memories of Bill...

Bill Ward

I’m greatly saddened by the news Bill Ward passed away. He was a long time friend and Club mate. In facted he was one of the first judoka to befriend me on my arrival in Great Britain in 1976. Bill often went out of his way to show me the ropes while training in London, England.

As a training partner I recall Bill as a tough and intense opponent, that in the middle of an intense fight would break into a big cocky boyish grin leaving you with the uneasy feeling he just craked the secret to how he was going to throw you.

After many years, I recently had the pleasure to catch up with Bill at the World Masters held in Canada. We talked of Families, jobs, and mortgages. Joking how we must be getting old as there was little to no talk of judo.

However while watching Bill that day and admiring that he still had his great tactical abilities, I was very pleased to see during a tough fight, Bill break into that BIG cocky smile, showing that the young man I new in the 70’s with the boyish enjoyment of competing was still strong and alive in him.

That was the last time I saw him and I will remember Bill Ward as a Friend, a Training Partner and a Real Character in all the very best sense of the word .

Bill was one of a kind!

My sincere sympathy goes out to his family

Ron Angus
Canada

No comments: